DiLorenzo & Rush | Counselors of Law
Stepping Up & Standing Out

Can I ask for a change to our child support order?

On Behalf of | Jul 11, 2023 | Family Law

Family court judges apply formulas and guidelines under New Jersey law when they create a child support order. The formulas are based on the child’s needs and the parents’ ability to pay. In other words, a parent who has a high-paying job will likely end up paying more in child support.

But what happens if you have a change in your finances? What if your ex-spouse has a similar change? Can a child support order be modified in New Jersey?

Can I ask for a change to a support order?

In our state, it is possible to request changes to a child support order. Requests are not always granted, but you do have the ability to petition the family law court to change the initial order.

Provide proof that there has been a substantial change in your financial picture and ask the court to hold a hearing on the matter.

You can also ask the courts to review your order every three years to determine if there should be a change in the amount ordered.

If the children also have changes in their expenses, like insurance or schooling, that justify a change in child support, you can make a request too.

Final thoughts

In summary, child support amounts can be modified. There just needs to be a justifiable and demonstrable reason to make an increase or decrease.

If you have a decreased ability to pay or an increased need for payments, family law courts are willing to work with your family, but they need proof of your claims.