DiLorenzo & Rush | Counselors of Law
Stepping Up & Standing Out

Lawyer For Child Relocation Disputes

When parents separate or are divorced in New York or New Jersey, their custody and visitation rights are determined by a mutual agreement of the parties or a determination by a judge after a trial. Once the parties’ custody and visitation rights have been made subject to the terms of a court order (by agreement or trial), they are bound to the terms of that order unless it is modified by further court order. Additionally, even those situations where a child’s parents were never married, one parent may not remove a child from either state without a court order.

If a parent wants to move from the jurisdiction in either of the two states, they must first file a motion with the court to obtain court approval. The other parent has a right to oppose the motion.

If You Are Seeking Or Opposing A Parental Relocation

If you are moving or need to oppose the other parent’s move to a location out of the jurisdiction, the experienced family law attorneys at DiLorenzo & Rush can help. We have more than 40 years of combined legal experience and have helped many clients find solutions to difficult child custody and visitation matters. Call 718-537-9885 (Hackensack) or 201-212-4027 (Bronx).

Protect Your Custodial Rights

If you choose to move out of New York or New Jersey without going through the appropriate steps and obtaining court approval, you may be accused of violating your child’s other parent’s custody or visitation rights. In some cases, parents have lost custody of their children for violating the terms of a court order.

If you are thinking about moving, protect your custodial rights by speaking with an attorney and taking the correct steps to obtain court approval. If your child’s other parent has moved out of the jurisdiction without court approval, contact our New York or New Jersey law office immediately to determine if you have legal recourse.

Contact A Bergen County Child Custody Attorney

To schedule an appointment with a lawyer at DiLorenzo & Rush, contact us by email or call 718-537-9885 (Hackensack) or 201-212-4027 (Bronx).